Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Great (internal) Lunch Debate

I can have canned lentil soup
or Serops!
Everyday around 11:45am I head to the lunch/furniture storage room at work to eat. There are usually about 10 of us that eat at this time. We always seem to start off by checking each other's meals out...I have been trying to bring my lunch to save money and calories so I often experience a lot of food envy, especially on Mondays when some of the girls head to the cafeteria in the building next door for baked potatoes covered in fake cheese, broccoli, bacon, sour cream and other delectable toppings. Even worse, each day we get an email with a local restaurant that is going to deliver lunch. As a foodie, I always find time to read the menu, even if I don't intend to purchase anything. There are a few restaurants I cannot resist and one of them just happened to be delivering today. It isn't that Serops is my favorite Greek restaurant in Baton Rouge..in fact it probably ranks third, with Albasha being my absolute favorite (my mouth is salivating just typing that name). But there is no escaping the delicious smell of garlic when Serops is delivered. You can guess which of the four elevators the delivery person rode up in for a couple days after the delivery...I have tried to not give in to temptation...then lunch rolls around and I am eating a peanut butter sandwich and banana while everyone else has chicken shawarma and falafel and hummus and GARLIC. So today I didn't resist. I got the combo plate which comes with both chicken shawarma and gyro meat, hummus and pita, rice, and a feta salad. Everything except for the chicken was pretty good. The hummus was smooth and flavorful - there was definitely a lemon juice in the recipe, which I always like. I did feel like there was a little something missing, perhaps the nuttiness (or is it seediness?) of a good tahini. The gyro meat was well seasoned but the texture was a bit off. At Albasha, the gyro meat seems to melt in your mouth. This did not. The chicken was too dry and, unless covered with hummus, felt a little like sand in my mouth. I also feel like I got the little chicken shawarma tidbits instead of the delicious shaved pieces like that of the gyro. I, as well as my colleagues in neighboring offices, was very happy that Serops was thoughtful enough to include a mint to end this savory meal.


Tomorrow is another day at work, which means another restaurant to be tempted by...I can barely wait to get in to read the menu!




1 comment:

  1. Mmm greek food!

    My favorite thing to cut down calories while eating out or ordering in is to split the meal in half, put the other half into tupperwear and into the fridge before I can tempt myself into eating the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete