Monday, August 23, 2010

Rice Krispie Treats and Sweet Memories

Last night, Abby and I made rice krispie squares.  It has been years since I've made them and I can't believe how easy it was.  Cooking with Abby (and Lucas serving as helper, of course) is one of my favorite things to do.  I was lucky and actually didn't even realize my luck until I went off to college...I just assumed that everyone knew how to cook.  That assumption came to a screeching halt when I moved in with a girl who didn't know how to make mashed potatoes...seriously though...mashed potatoes??  I pretty much grew up cooking and baking in the kitchen with my cousin Molly and either my mum or grandma, and most often both.  We made everything from homemade bread to cookies to full dinners.  I remember once when we spent the entire, and I mean ENTIRE day cooking taffy...I just remember my grandma yelling to stretch, stretch, stretch the taffy before it got hard.  Our arms were exhausted by the end of the ordeal...but we had the most beautiful taffy.....I only wish we took pictures.  Maybe that's why I feel compelled to take photos of the creation and eating of just about every meal......I want to be able to capture the memories.  Foods brings people together.  Tolkien wrote, "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."


Lucas agrees with Tolkien...food makes him merry!
 

1 comment: